Advice for socializing

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I thought I’d post an update and see if anyone has any ideas. Little Bella fully recovered and since Easter we’ve allowed her to roam the house during the day. She is showing more confidence each week and has stopped hiding under rugs or beds. What I’m noticing is that her and Shadow seem to sometimes play but then Bella still hisses daily and will swat at Shadow especially in areas like hallways, or more confined spaces. Bella has definitely expanded her territory and seems to have laid claim to our entire upstairs and about half of downstairs. When Shadow enters those areas, it gets more tense. There seems to be some ongoing battles over the family room territory with favorite chairs, blankets and sofa. No biting, yowling or fur flying, and so far no one has gotten hurt and I keep nails trimmed. Shadow just runs away when it happens or jumps up to a higher vertical space but he doesn’t hide either. I tried mixing scents and using the same brush, and a few weeks ago I rubbed a blanket over Shadow. When I placed the blanket in Bella’s safe room chair, she peed on it which is the only time she’s ever had an accident. I do play daily with them and that’s fine until they get too close and Bella will hiss. Not sure if I should go back to separating them with gates again until all signs of hissing stop or if we should just stay the course and let them adjust. We are going on five months. I considered putting Bella in another room again and letting Shadow explore her safe room again but I’m worried about Bella rebelling with another urine accident. Thank you for any thoughts.
Hi Lynn- great update!
I completely agree with di and bob di and bob and would continue as is,you've been doing a wonderful job

Bella marked over his scent being placed in her territory- she's a real bossy little female,lol- isn't she? And Lynn,it's fine especially because she CAN be with a boy like Shadow..... no cause for concern or going back any steps as long as her setting her boundaries does not escalate from voicing her demands and little swats to make her demands clear( thsts all it is)

When you have a cat like Shadow who respects her space and avoids ( but doesn't go hide) it's all about finding their respective place to share a territory- it's all good

You know I have a bossy little girl named Bella too- she's barely 7lbs and thinks she's 20lbs,lol A little hissing,a little swatting but still I make it known I'm not pleased with it,I make a very big deal with high Praise and treats when everyone is quiet in close proximity and not complaining---" No,be good girl" and I pet them both to distract from those little squabbles---- they certainly understand Mommy is well pleased when everyone is nice to one another

Cats do have to be given the opportunity to work things out themselves,we are on their as watchers on the wall during those little interactions and disagreements to keep it 'safe"

Btw,had my surgery and decided to go home the next day so all went well .... I just had to get home to my clowder and it's going great,they were only on their own one night👍

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Kwik,I'm so glad your surgery went well, bask in the soothing vibes of your clowder!
I have to smile every time I think of the little girl I have right now when she was an outside cat. She would intimidate the huge feral males that came into eat. She's barely 7 lbs, they were at least 18lbs. She did not want to have them take any of her territory, and when she had kittens she was a tiger. they always took a wide berth around her, some would wait until she was gone to eat! My Chrissy was the same way, the boys made sure they didn't get too close......in the animal kingdom, the female cat is truly queen!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
@Kwik,I'm so glad your surgery went well, bask in the soothing vibes of your clowder!
I have to smile every time I think of the little girl I have right now when she was an outside cat. She would intimidate the huge feral males that came into eat. She's barely 7 lbs, they were at least 18lbs. She did not want to have them take any of her territory, and when she had kittens she was a tiger. they always took a wide berth around her, some would wait until she was gone to eat! My Chrissy was the same way, the boys made sure they didn't get too close......in the animal kingdom, the female cat is truly queen!
Thank you so much - going very very well!

So funny but so true,female cats certainly are Queens and they make that very clear no matter their size,they've got HUGE attitude,lol