Shelter cat is broken and super depressed

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many times, I think doctors just give generalized instructions.

Years ago, I went to a doctor and he wanted to prescribe a certain medication. He told me that I needed to take a blood test for kidney and liver function before I could take it. I agreed to get the blood test done but I said that I didn't think that there would be any problems that might contradict taking the meds. He asked me why I thought that. I told him that I had eaten asparagus the night before. He didn't understand what I was talking about.

I explained that when some people eat asparagus it makes their urine smell like a skunk but he still didn't get it. Asparagus contains a substance called asparagusic acid. When you eat it, the asparagusic acid goes into your bloodstream where it's broken down by your liver into the same substance that makes skunks smell. That substance (methyl mercaptan) is, then, excreted by the kidneys.

I reasoned that, if I ate asparagus then, within the hour, it made my urine smell like a skunk my liver must be working normally. If the smell went away after twelve hours, that means my kidneys must be working normally, too. I agreed that this wasn't a definitive test but it's still enough to be presumptive.

The doctor sat there, scratching his head for a moment and said, "Yeah, you're right." I said thanks but asked him to write up the order for the blood test, anyhow, just to be certain. He did that and wrote a scrip for the medication, too. We both agreed that the test was all just a formality, anyhow.

My point is that doctors often think in a linear way that doesn't consider other possibilities and they don't relay all the necessary information to clients, thinking that they don't know or won't understand. I think that you understand your cat's situation well enough to make the right decisions, despite your vet's restrictive orders.

You understand that your cat has had several teeth extracted and that, temporarily, she needs to change her diet. You also understand that your cat needs to eat, despite doctor's orders, and I think you understand well enough to make an informed decision on a compromise diet until her mouth heals.

As I said, a cat's gotta' eat! Right? :)

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sure those gums are still painful that was a lot. My mom's cat had five extractions and that was difficult enough. She had pills for home! They did not give you pain meds for home right? If you contact them do you think they would give her something for a few days? She has to go back 10 days from her extractions for her recheck right? Good Grief hang in there ,it is going to get better. Sending positive vibes your way.♥♥♥

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No pills at home. The IV treatment last 48 hours. We'll see if she eats dinner. Right now I can't tell if she's in bad pain or she's mad. I'll ask for pain killers if she's not eating.
That is what I thought. I know mine got more than 48 hours. You are doing an amazing job with her! Hope your night goes well.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Cosette... She has been through quite so much in her short time with you. I would be angry if I had multiple extractions. I know how it is with a couple.. Very painful. I think if there are more than a few extractions, they need pain meds for a few more days. Then you can slowly wean off of them.

I hope she ate her 'soup'.

With both Artie and Geoffrey, multiple extractions on each: Artie 3, Geoffrey 3.. They each had long acting pain meds. They both ate soft food, almost soup, almost immediately when they got home. And the Vet's office called the next day to see how they were doing.

You are an amazing Mama.. Doing such a great job with her... ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems that yesterday was the peak of her pain. She's in better spirits now. She's learning to grab bites of food. We got some gravy for her to lick from our fingers and she loves it. I thought she'd stay angry but she hasn't. She almost looks happy to see us.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So awesome!!! No really I don't think they stay all that mad. At least none of mine has.Six months in shelter, it is like a taste of freedom.
Shelters are so busy, there just are not enough people to work with cats these. Cosette is getting a little confidence😍♥. Look at guys, your like cat whisperers👍.She is beginning to think this might actually be good for me.Keep on going,Team Cosette for the win!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems that yesterday was the peak of her pain. She's in better spirits now. She's learning to grab bites of food. We got some gravy for her to lick from our fingers and she loves it. I thought she'd stay angry but she hasn't. She almost looks happy to see us.
Great news!