3 cats not getting along

Amt k

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats. One male, 2 females. The male and one female are brother and sister and are litter mates. Never been outside or exposed to other cats etc. very lovey and playful. The female is very skittish however. They are a little over 2 years.
The other female was an outdoor cat. My neighbor used her as a yard cat after she’d been dropped off by a family she’d been with. She’s a little over a year old. She was starving and kept coming up to me so my husband and I took her in, got her to the vet etc. I had her isolated for a couple weeks as she was recovering from Giardia.
I tried an introduction and they would bump noses occasionally but the new one would attack the other two. The other two wouldn’t fight back just run away. They were very stressed! Me too!
This went on for about a month. The fighting and stress on them I felt was not worth it so I’m trying a slower reintroduction. I don’t know what else to do and am at the end! I don’t want to rehome her but I can’t keep the other two under constant stress either nor can I keep her separated forever.

Any suggestions? Thank you

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats. One male, 2 females. The male and one female are brother and sister and are litter mates. Never been outside or exposed to other cats etc. very lovey and playful. The female is very skittish however. They are a little over 2 years.
The other female was an outdoor cat. My neighbor used her as a yard cat after she’d been dropped off by a family she’d been with. She’s a little over a year old. She was starving and kept coming up to me so my husband and I took her in, got her to the vet etc. I had her isolated for a couple weeks as she was recovering from Giardia.
I tried an introduction and they would bump noses occasionally but the new one would attack the other two. The other two wouldn’t fight back just run away. They were very stressed! Me too!
This went on for about a month. The fighting and stress on them I felt was not worth it so I’m trying a slower reintroduction. I don’t know what else to do and am at the end! I don’t want to rehome her but I can’t keep the other two under constant stress either nor can I keep her separated forever.

Any suggestions? Thank you
Is there a room you can put her in for about a month.. sounds harsh? What you could do is just allow her to stay in that room and go in and spend time with her, and play and then go see your other kitties. They say scent swapping between all of them is good too.
I have a street kitty that I took in and I have had her separated now for about 3 weeks from my other three who are all siblings. I am going to do room swapping with Bella this weekend or at least let her out into the rest of the house while my kids are in my room so she can get the lay of the land. I also plan on putting up one of the a screen on the door so they can see each other but not harm each other .. The screen works really great I will leave a link to it at the bottom.
Amazon.com
I hope this helps.. I will check on you in a few days and see where you are and how you are feeling..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amt k

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes thank you….thats what I’m currently doing. I’m really hoping it works! Thank you for the link! I appreciate your support :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that this will be doable, but not quickly. Very few cat introductions are quick and easy (and OH how we celebrate those here!), Generally, we see weeks, sometimes months. I've included three articles for you. They are easy reads, and packed with information. Each one, while covering SOME of the same ground, includes information not in the others.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite
https://thecatsite.com/c/how-to-successfully-introduce-cats-the-ultimate-guide/
Introducing Cats To Cats: The Expert's Guide To A Smooth Transition - TheCatSite

I'll be following this for a bit, to see if I can be of further help.

Janie834

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a similar, but not identical, situation. My resident cat is a senior with health issues. We took in a homeless boy who was in distress (nasty infection that made half his face swell up), who came around twice a day begging for food and to come inside. He is a lovely boy, about a year old now (10 months when we brought him in). He was not neutered and had lots of health issues once coming in (including, like yours, giardia). We've done slow introductions but the newcomer is still very, very focused on my older boy and will bite him if given the opportunity. He tries to chase him when he moves around in his presence. The older boy is very meak and does not fight back either. I have no solutions to offer yet, unfortunately - just commiseration and support. We keep them separated and are slowly doing reintroductions, very very slowly and under close supervision. I don't want to rehome him, he is so sweet and has been through so much. It's tough. I'm sorry you are also going through this and hope things go smoothly for you.

CatFiles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a similar, but not identical, situation. My resident cat is a senior with health issues. We took in a homeless boy who was in distress (nasty infection that made half his face swell up), who came around twice a day begging for food and to come inside. He is a lovely boy, about a year old now (10 months when we brought him in). He was not neutered and had lots of health issues once coming in (including, like yours, giardia). We've done slow introductions but the newcomer is still very, very focused on my older boy and will bite him if given the opportunity. He tries to chase him when he moves around in his presence. The older boy is very meak and does not fight back either. I have no solutions to offer yet, unfortunately - just commiseration and support. We keep them separated and are slowly doing reintroductions, very very slowly and under close supervision. I don't want to rehome him, he is so sweet and has been through so much. It's tough. I'm sorry you are also going through this and hope things go smoothly for you.
does the newer cat always chase your older cat in the same/particular areas of your home?