Abnormal blood work levels in two cats

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recently, my cat Giada had a blood work done, and when the results came in, though the vets say everything is looking good, I noticed a few levels out of range.
So I looked at the past blood works of the last couple of years, for both cats, and found out that this abnormality has been going on for a while now, and it seems I overlooked it. Despite this, my vets always told all was fine.

The abnormal levels are Cholinesterase, Glucose, Amylase, Lipase, which have numbers that in some cases are nearly 300% higher than the range.

If you want to bear with me, I will write down some numbers. Not all levels were measured every time (I marked with a / the times the levels wasn't taken), between [ ] the range for each level.

Giada. Levels on Sept 9, 2020 - Jul 13, 2021 - Mar 15, 2022 - Feb 22, 2023
Cholinesterase: 3855 - 2979 - 3385 - 3616 [1500-3000]
Glucose:
104 - 93 - 132 - 129 [70-130]
Amylase:
1046 - 1142 - 1011 - 1126 [300-1700]
DGGR Lipase:
/ - / - 30 - 42 [8-30]
Total Lipase:
171 - 174 - / - 207 [1-80]

Freya. Levels on Dec 29, 2021 - Jan 28, 2022 - Mar 15, 2022 - May 18, 2022 - Jan 20, 2023
Cholinesterase: 3246 - 3666 - 3525 - 2654 - 4109 [1500-3000]
Glucose:
108 - 101 - 114 - 165 - 99 [70-130]
Amylase:
1000 - 1152 - 999 - 936 - 1241 [300-1700]
DGGR Lipase:
/ - / - 31 - 31 - / [8-30]
Total Lipase:
/ - 236 - / - 181 - 219 [1-80]

Judging from the Lipase numbers, one could say that both my cats have Pancreatitis, though Amylase is always fine, while those high numbers for Cholinesterase could make one think that both my cats have liver, or kidney, or pancreas issues.
Glucose, too, is on the high side of the range for both cats, but Fructosamine has been read once or twice for both cats, and it's perfectly within the range.

Truth is that it seems both my cats are fine. They look healthy, they eat fine, they sometimes seem to drink more water than the day before, but on average they drink about 30 ml of water per day total, they use the litter box fine, are playful, have a nice coat, etc.
They eat grain free wet and dry food. Wet is premium mono protein food, I switch it to a different protein once a month. Dry is Orijen grain free, Chicken or Fish.

So, how would you interpret these numbers? What should I look for? Am I missing something?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you ask your vet about them? It could be that a cat's numbers consistently being off is fine because they have no symptoms. Like they just naturally sit outside of the range and your vet knows.

It's kind of like people who have a low blood pressure and then if they have a normal blood pressure that's actually for them quite high and worrisome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you ask your vet about them? It could be that a cat's numbers consistently being off is fine because they have no symptoms. Like they just naturally sit outside of the range and your vet knows.
Actually I didn't. I realized it a couple of days ago (last results were only a few days old), and I thought to have a look at the old ones.
It could be that they are "normal and natural" for a cat, but for two cats?

I have "naturally" high GGT and Cholesterol numbers, but if my wife had the same numbers I think it wouldn't be normal.
I even thought of an error from the lab, but they should have realized it after two years.

We have an appointment for a dental cleaning next Tuesday, I think I will ask them. It was just to have some insights from someone else and have some more info before talking to the vet.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually I didn't. I realized it a couple of days ago (last results were only a few days old), and I thought to have a look at the old ones.
It could be that they are "normal and natural" for a cat, but for two cats?

I have "naturally" high GGT and Cholesterol numbers, but if my wife had the same numbers I think it wouldn't be normal.
I even thought of an error from the lab, but they should have realized it after two years.

We have an appointment for a dental cleaning next Tuesday, I think I will ask them. It was just to have some insights from someone else and have some more info before talking to the vet.
That's a good idea. For cholesterol it's based on food as well or maybe environment?

Consensus for ggt seems to be it could mean something or it could mean nothing. Why Are My Dog And Cat’s Blood GGT Levels High Or Low? – Ron Hines' Vetspace – 2nd Chance – The Animal Health Website

Though, alongside the high cholesterol, it could be the beginning stages of hyperthyroidism. It could be that your vet is keeping an eye on it but didn't mention it yet? However, it can also just be genetic that it's high and therefore since it's consistently high there's no issue. Is there a chance these cats could be related in some way?
High Cholesterol in Cats | PetMD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably I have misunderstood your post, but I wanted to say that it's me that has high GGT and cholesterol levels 😊
My cats' liver is still ok ;)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Probably I have misunderstood your post, but I wanted to say that it's me that has high GGT and cholesterol levels 😊
My cats' liver is still ok ;)
Oh no. I misunderstood yours from reading too quickly.
I'm glad you're okay though.