Broken dry food jar and cats may have eaten glass!

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a large jar for my cats' dry food. I just noticed near the bottom of it there is an inch-sized chunk missing, and inside the bottom of the jar (with the crumbs that settle at the bottom) there were some shards of glass! I have NO idea how the break happened.

There were a couple of inches of dry food left in the jar this morning when I fed my cats, so when I reached in with my hand, I did not notice any glass or get cut while feeding them. They each get about a tablespoon of wet food and a couple of tablespoons (small handful) of dry food on top for breakfast. How much do I need to worry that there were glass shards in the handfuls I gave them? I am so worried that one of my 4 babies ate some tiny amount of glass! Everyone is acting fine so far, and I threw out the jar.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I guess, since you didn't cut/nick yourself when getting the food out, and you tossed everything, including what was left in their food bowls, the best you can do is wait it out. I don't think a tiny shard of glass would show up on an x-ray, but you could call the vet and ask about that aspect.