Do you give your cat kisses when sick?

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'm an avid cat head kisser. My cat loves it and we have the unwritten rule of 200 kissies a day (joke of course but wouldn't be surprised if it were that many). Right now my throat hurts and I might have laryngitis. Would it be unsafe to give my cat kisses? I don't want her to get sick of course but I'm not sure if cats can even get the same illnesses as we can.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always kiss my cats (on their mouth too), even when I am sick, and so far nothing happened. A vet once told me that our illnesses wouldn't pass on to them. After all, we always have bacteria in our mouth that are different from cats', even when we are fine and healthy.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are VERY few illnesses that pass from human to cat. I don't worry about it. When I had Covid I tried not to touch/kiss my cats, well that didn't work! they insist on it. didn't pass it on.....

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks fro yoru advise H hats patches ! I ahev two that like affection and demand it, one not so much. My little girl will literally crawl up to your face and rub her face all over, almost head butting you she loves it so much! She does this several times a day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
While it's natural to want to comfort your cat when they're sick, it's essential to consider their preferences and boundaries. Cats are individuals with unique personalities, and some may enjoy affection like kisses, while others may not be as receptive.

If your cat enjoys physical affection, gentle petting or cuddling may be appreciated. However, if they're feeling unwell, they may prefer to be left alone in a quiet and comfortable space.

Observing your cat's body language and respecting their cues is crucial. If they seem uncomfortable or stressed by kisses or any other form of affection, it's best to give them space and provide care in ways that they find soothing.

Always consult with a veterinarian if your cat is sick to ensure they receive appropriate medical attention and care.
Thanks for the general advise! Luckily it's me who's sick and not my cat :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks fro yoru advise H hats patches ! I ahev two that like affection and demand it, one not so much. My little girl will literally crawl up to your face and rub her face all over, almost head butting you she loves it so much! She does this several times a day!
Same here with my Miso. She lays on my lap all day, and even grabs my face and hand towards her face if I don't pet or kiss her enough