Dry FIP Treatment - Inj vs pills

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! First I'll reference my first thread involving Mr Stripe. Feline Leukemia Eye issues and Seizure
Following his ocular issues and single seizure a month ago, we went to the Vet.

I use a retired Vet that helps with the Humane Society, so limited on tests but 50 yrs experience. :bluepaw:Note I am on a very tight budget, this will factor in with my question.:bluepaw:
He examined Stripe and said his eyes made him really question Ocular Dry FIP with the Anterior Uveitis. That coupled w the seizure, Neuro?

He advised to get him established w a clinic, CBC and Chem Panel run and go from there.

Down the FIP rabbit hole I went. :running:

Mr Stripe is a big boy, weighing 10.6 lbs. The dosage for injections was going to be right at 3 mLs. That is a large dose to give in his back for any length of time, especially w no help. 200 mgs of Gabapentin was needed to calm him for Vet visits alone.

So I'm looking into going the oral route w capsules.

Can anyone give me suggestions on groups that are reliable and go the oral route? And pricing? :please:

He has been stable for a month, but has upcoming Vet visit prior to starting treatment for blood work.

And of course I'm wondering is this actually FIP, even tho everything does seem to fit.

If you've made it this far, thank you for reading! I've had a small nervous breakdown recently. I do want what's best for my Stripe, I'm just trying to figure out what that is. :heartshape:

TIA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. Have you joined the FIP Warrior group to see if they can provide some guidance for you? Since the group's sole existence is because of FIP, they are going to have a lot more knowledge/expertise to offer.
FIP Warriors
Yes, and a couple moderators have been great! However, I'm wanting to explore the option of oral meds before going the injection route. Thought I'd see if anyone here could weigh in on their experience.
:hearthrob::redheartpump:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't find much on this site related to oral meds vs. injections. I did find this article about the current FIP treatments and some contact information. Maybe there would be some informative help through these?
https://icatcare.org/app/uploads/2024/02/FIP-pet-owner-brochure-FINAL-V1-Feb-2024-A5-161.pdf

I am still surprised the Warrior group couldn't be more help with the pills as I have to believe there are others in the group who have used them vs. the injections.

Last edited:

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't find much on this site related to oral meds vs. injections. I did find this article about the current FIP treatments and some contact information. Maybe there would be some informative help through these?
https://icatcare.org/app/uploads/2024/02/FIP-pet-owner-brochure-FINAL-V1-Feb-2024-A5-161.pdf

I am still surprised the Warrior group couldn't be more help with the pills as I have to believe there are others in the group who have used them vs. the injections.
I just recieved a quote on the capsules from another group, $250 every 2 weeks.

With the Warrior group, they start off on the injectable and if labwork is good, can switch to oral at some point. From my understanding.

It is a cheaper route with the injectable brand they have quoted, at $30 week plus shipping.

However, my concern is that is such a large amount, 3mLs daily. And I have no help in giving the injection. Dosage is 3 - 10 mgs/kg, but with his being Ocular and Neuro, dosing at a much larger dosage of 12 mgs/kg. It's also very thick and burns. And can only be given in the back, rotating 6 spots.

His nickname is "Stripie Bitie" for a reason. :oops: As a seasoned Vet Tech, I'm concerned ab being able to do this.

I'll check out the article, thank you!!

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This article does mention a tablet and an oral suspension being effective as well, so that's great info to have!! Now I need to navigate where to find this option.