How to mix KMR with goat milk

kimmycup1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know many people use goat milk when bottle feeding, I want to continue to use KMR while also using some goat milk, mostly because it's cheaper and I've heard it's easier on their tummies. I've bottle fed before, but have never tried goat milk. Would it be better to mix it with the formula, or just mix up goat milk on its own and alternate feedings, like a bottle of KMR and then a bottle of goat milk? I bought Meyenberg pasteurized powdered goat milk online and it'll be here tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know many people use goat milk when bottle feeding, I want to continue to use KMR while also using some goat milk, mostly because it's cheaper and I've heard it's easier on their tummies. I've bottle fed before, but have never tried goat milk. Would it be better to mix it with the formula, or just mix up goat milk on its own and alternate feedings, like a bottle of KMR and then a bottle of goat milk? I bought Meyenberg pasteurized powdered goat milk online and it'll be here tomorrow. Thanks in advance!
yOU can probably do both, as goats milk is mild and shouldnt upset the tummy.

The advice is, instead of the usual mixining of 1:2, have a 1:3 ratio...

This advice was for raw goats milk, but Meyenbergs should go fine too.... I know forumites whom happily used Meyenberg for their rescued orphan babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimmycup1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you mean1:3 ratio of water, or kmr and goat milk? Would it be okay to mix the goat milk as per the instructions on the bag, and then mix a little into the kmr formula? I've looked everywhere for exact directions and ratios for powdered goat milk but haven't found any

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goat milk is rather thin on its own, and kitten formula is one part kitten formula plus 2 parts water, so I think it is one scoop of goat milk, plus one scoop of kitten formula, and then one part water. Let’s ask StefanZ StefanZ my colleague, to be sure. But this is what i think is proper. His advice for straight goat milk is if it is raw, which is hard to come by unless you have a neighbor raising goats and can milk them for raw. Mixing goat milk powder plus kitten formula powder with one part water seems proper to me.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you mean1:3 ratio of water, or kmr and goat milk? Would it be okay to mix the goat milk as per the instructions on the bag, and then mix a little into the kmr formula? I've looked everywhere for exact directions and ratios for powdered goat milk but haven't found any
1 stands for the powder, 2 stands for water. and 1 stands for powder, 3 stands for goats milk... Of course, in the later, you dont need to have it all goats milk - if you want it a little more fluid you have some water in there.

It is one of our experienced forumites whom experimentated this receipt.