Injury on Stray. Should I be Worried?

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! So a bit of background:

There is a stray cat on campus that I have been helping care for. He had a home found shortly before Christmas break, was dumped again, so now he is back unfortunately. The SPCA and shelter were called in hopes of getting him out of the heat and with reliable food before I moved back home for the summer, but they were both at max capacity.

I did find someone to feed him though, and someone from the SPCA has been working with us to help him be cared for until they can take him or he finds a home (vet costs if needed mainly).

Just this morning, I noticed an open scratch on his front right leg, and while it does not look deep, I'm worried it may be infected. I wasn't able to get great pictures, but his feeder was able to get some better ones and send them to me.

Should he be taken to the vet to have it treated, or continue to watch and make sure it doesn't get worse? I don't want to take money from the SPCA if it is not serious is the main worry since they are so crowded right now, and I don't deal with cuts on my own cats much so I wasn't sure how serious this was or if I was worrying too much.
IMG_20240503_164905.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I t looks like an open wound? So if so it should be checked
Alrighty!
He likely won't be able to go to the vet until at least tomorrow, maybe not until Monday since it is the SPCA covering costs as I said, and I'm not sure they are open on weekends. I will text the person I've been in contact with though and explain the issue and see what can be done.

Is there anything that can be done until I hear back to prevent it from getting worse? Neosporin and rubbing alcohol I know is a big, big no on cats, but I'm not sure if it can be treated with anything the caretaker would have readily available until he can be seen by a vet or the SPCA

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's also a possibility he did that to himself - allergies or something too. The fact that a lot of hair is missing makes me wonder.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
From your photo it doesn't seem it's deep but a big enough area that is open,ideally you'd want to wash with soap n water,keep it clean and keep an eye on it but if I'm understanding correctly this lil fellow is living outside?

Because he is outside a Vet would likely prescribe anti- biotic as a preventative measure -If it were me I might just keep an eye on it- looks like he may have gotten caught on something sharp and scraped himself badly but who knows- a clearer photo might be helpful....

Do you live in a dorm,do they not allow cats there? Just asking.❤

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From your photo it doesn't seem it's deep but a big enough area that is open,ideally you'd want to wash with soap n water,keep it clean and keep an eye on it but if I'm understanding correctly this lil fellow is living outside?

Because he is outside a Vet would likely prescribe anti- biotic as a preventative measure -If it were me I might just keep an eye on it- looks like he may have gotten caught on something sharp and scraped himself badly but who knows- a clearer photo might be helpful....

Do you live in a dorm,do they not allow cats there? Just asking.❤

They do not allow cats inside, but where he is a stray, they allow people to feed them and such. They tried to ban feeding them at one point, but students got mad and protested against it.

I'm not living on campus over the summer, but I found someone willing to feed him every day to make sure he gets food and water, and generally making sure he is ok.

There used to be 4 more on campus besides this guy. A black and white boy, and orange tabby, a tortie young girl, and an orange and white girl. They have all been adopted though, aside from this gray one who was adopted, then dumped again by the person who had adopted him. Where they were strays and just adopted off the street really, the only ones I have been able to get regular updates on is the tortie and the orange tabby.

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also did get a response from the SPCA, and they said it doesn't look too serious at the moment, but preventative treatment may help with it being an open wound. They estimated it shouldn't cost over $15, so I will be seeing if I can get more clear pictures today to take to the vet and get some medicine for him.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I also did get a response from the SPCA, and they said it doesn't look too serious at the moment, but preventative treatment may help with it being an open wound. They estimated it shouldn't cost over $15, so I will be seeing if I can get more clear pictures today to take to the vet and get some medicine for him.
Yeah,only because he's outside and it's a higher risk for infection so it would be a good idea to get him on an antibiotic👍

You're very sweet,hope this boy gets a forever home very soon❤