Introducing a second - male or female?

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I’ve been doing my best to give this a lot of research, but figured some opinions won’t hurt!

Now Morgana is a bit older and showing signs of wanting companionship (at the time, I was unaware that getting two kittens was best, otherwise I would have taken her and her only other littermate and I feel bad about that….), you should see her when I play kitten noises! She runs over and nuzzles the phone and looks for them, even if she’s downstairs! I also feel it’ll be good for her as it’s just me and Morgs at home which will be beneficial during my very occasional long work days. She’s now almost two and is calming down significantly so I feel much more confident.

Morgana is a 1.5 year old tortie, crossbreed between a British Shorthair and Ragdoll - ideally, I’ll be looking for a cat with a similar personality to her - playful, outgoing, spunky! As hopefully, they can bounce some of this never ending energy off one another! I will do my best to rescue but it will likely be another kitten as sadly, since I live on my own and work a lot of rescues just won’t consider me for that reason, despite having a flexible working pattern now :( Unless it’s a private situation, just wish it wasn’t so hard for me to be approved for rescues from shelters.

Been reading lots of different sources if it’s better to have a male introduced to an established female or get another female? I know I can’t predict how introduction will go (I’ve been extensively researching and very confident, new room set up ready (not looking for another couple of months but being prepared!), blankets to swap to get used to scents, supervised interaction etc. Just was hoping if you guys could share some experience? Some sources say it doesn’t matter, others say get one or the other!

Thank you! Here’s Morgs herself for your cat tax. Sorry, not sorry for constant picture updates.

EDBA199B-1085-4107-923D-FC257D2D5772.jpeg

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Personality personality personality.

Try to go for a place where they are spayed/neutered first. You may find some rescues to be more open to you, now that Morgana has been with you for a bit.

You want to find one with a similar energy level and some similar "hobbies". Perhaps one from a home with a female resident cat.

You have more things going for you in terms of being more eligible for a rescue adoption now:
1 - I think you have a vet and the rescue can confirm Morgana has gone if they were to call?
2- you've had Morgana for a bit
3- the new adoptee will have a companion in her
4- you can word things on your application to show that you've put thought into personality of the new cat
5- your job has maintained the flexibility during the big push of back to office, which many rescues were concerned about. And rightfully so! A lot of rescues are overrun with cats and dogs with high separation anxiety after the "back to office" push
6- there's now fewer adopters in most places and more surrenders

If you head in to this when speaking to rescues saying "hey I need a personality match for my cat." Any good one is going to want to hear you out.

A rescue, if it does become possible for you, will be the best bet as they will have the vaccines and be screened for certain things. Also, it does happen that owners will lie to get their cats rehomed. My former vet thinks that I was lied to about Lily's age.

Don't go with any cat, where the owner cannot or is unwilling to transfer medical reports to your vet. (though they might want you to pay for that cost)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, - how old? Too young and there might be the risk that rough play might be too much.

Females can be more territorial, so possibly a male.
Ah! I was hoping not a young young, maybe a few months old if I can?

Personality personality personality.

Try to go for a place where they are spayed/neutered first. You may find some rescues to be more open to you, now that Morgana has been with you for a bit.

You want to find one with a similar energy level and some similar "hobbies". Perhaps one from a home with a female resident cat.

You have more things going for you in terms of being more eligible for a rescue adoption now:
1 - I think you have a vet and the rescue can confirm Morgana has gone if they were to call?
2- you've had Morgana for a bit
3- the new adoptee will have a companion in her
4- you can word things on your application to show that you've put thought into personality of the new cat
5- your job has maintained the flexibility during the big push of back to office, which many rescues were concerned about. And rightfully so! A lot of rescues are overrun with cats and dogs with high separation anxiety after the "back to office" push
6- there's now fewer adopters in most places and more surrenders

If you head in to this when speaking to rescues saying "hey I need a personality match for my cat." Any good one is going to want to hear you out.

A rescue, if it does become possible for you, will be the best bet as they will have the vaccines and be screened for certain things. Also, it does happen that owners will lie to get their cats rehomed. My former vet thinks that I was lied to about Lily's age.

Don't go with any cat, where the owner cannot or is unwilling to transfer medical reports to your vet. (though they might want you to pay for that cost)
These are wonderful points! I will do my best and try again with rescues. Morgana is vet registered (it’s right across the road from me, actually!) But I do think having a personality match is a really good idea. Morgana is just… a high energy, playful little thing that will absolutely benefit from a companion. It’ll be a couple of months before I go into it (wanting to make 100% sure i’m ready and do all the suitable preparations first!) but just thinking far enough into the future to be throughly prepared. I’m leaning towards a male - ahem, nerd names, cough cough, but I’m just making sure it’s the right thing for Morgs as she’s a teeny thing. All we can do is see personality! But I’ll do my best to make this as smooth a process of possible for Morgana and myself, and any new companion we end up with!