Jimmy Carter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jimmy Carter to begin receiving hospice care | CNN Politics

It looks like the U.S. is close to losing a former President which isn't surprising. He is 98 and was diagnosed with cancer in 2015. He has had several hospital stays recently and has decided to stay at home on Hospice care. He has often said that he was a better ex-President then President. He did do a lot as an ex-President.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My husband just told me the news. Jimmy Carter is the oldest living president. In 2002 he received the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to find a peaceful solution for international conflicts and human rights.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:bawling: I'm sorry that we're losing him; Jimmy Carter is a national treasure.

That said, I'm glad that he's able to die at home, and that he has hospice to help. When my father was dying of liver cancer he did the same. I remember when his pain became greater than his pain medication could handle. It was the middle of the night, and we called hospice. They woke up their on-call physician for a new prescription and less than an hour later there was a knock on the door. It was a delivery guy from the only all night pharmacy in town that provided delivery, with my dad's new pain medication.

The people who work for hospice (any hospice, doesn't matter which one) are a very special kind of caregiver. They enable a family to spend their time just being with the loved one they're losing, getting in the last quality time with that beloved person that they can. :sniffle:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:bawling: I'm sorry that we're losing him; Jimmy Carter is a national treasure.

That said, I'm glad that he's able to die at home, and that he has hospice to help. When my father was dying of liver cancer he did the same. I remember when his pain became greater than his pain medication could handle. It was the middle of the night, and we called hospice. They woke up their on-call physician for a new prescription and less than an hour later there was a knock on the door. It was a delivery guy from the only all night pharmacy in town that provided delivery, with my dad's new pain medication.

The people who work for hospice (any hospice, doesn't matter which one) are a very special kind of caregiver. They enable a family to spend their time just being with the loved one they're losing, getting in the last quality time with that beloved person that they can. :sniffle:
When my mother was dying of cancer, I got hospice invloved. We had just barely set up with them when she passed in the middle of the night. I called them and they asked if we would like a minister to come over and we said yes. It was less than an hour he was there. None of us are religious, but he was a great comfort. Hospice was helpful to my aunt as well, they helped her when she was in the hospital following surgery for a hernia, which she didn't survive. They were so kind.

I very much admire Jimmy Carter, the world is losing one truly good human being, and what a Christian is meant to be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember many years ago they gave an interview and tour of their modest home, it is appraised at $167,000 today, and he showed the person doing the interview a Murphy bed. The person interviewing him was surprised at the Murphy bed and Carter was genuinely perplexed at why she was surprised.