Lions mane

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if any of you have any experience with Lions Mane? It has been recommended to us for trigeminal neuralgia by the Herbal Vets. I am a bit unsure, as it worked at the start, but he seemed to have some digestive track discomfort...
I am unsure if this was related to Lions Mane...

Also, if you have any experience with giving a powdered medication/herbs? Rysiek was happy to take, but now avoids any food/treat with it. As he drinks very little water I cannot relay on giving this via this way...
He is particular with any meds, for around two weeks happy to take it in lick-a-licks or tabled putty, but then he figures it out and stops...
He may go off completely of his most favourite food...when food is left for longer, he just goes not eat...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. I have no knowledge, and in doing a search on this site, I only found one possibly related post - Has Anyone Had Success With Mushroom Compounds And Cat Cancer/ Or Health Issues? | TheCatSite

The basic rule of thumb for many cats is to use anything other than their standard foods when giving supplements/meds, so they don't get turned off. There are tons of different lickable treats that you might be able to use on a rotational basis, so Rysiek can't as easily connect any one treat to his meds/supplements. There are also a few different 'putties' (pill pockets or pill masker) out there that you might be able to rotate through as well. Other things like cream cheese, tuna, sardines, as just a few examples, might be some other things to try to rotate through.

I admit I have no idea what the benefit is to giving Lions Mane. Maybe if you share why you are doing it, members on this site might have some alternative options

I also found this in case it might be of some help.
6 Best Mushroom Supplements for Cats (iheartcats.com)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. I have no knowledge, and in doing a search on this site, I only found one possibly related post - Has Anyone Had Success With Mushroom Compounds And Cat Cancer/ Or Health Issues? | TheCatSite

The basic rule of thumb for many cats is to use anything other than their standard foods when giving supplements/meds, so they don't get turned off. There are tons of different lickable treats that you might be able to use on a rotational basis, so Rysiek can't as easily connect any one treat to his meds/supplements. There are also a few different 'putties' (pill pockets or pill masker) out there that you might be able to rotate through as well. Other things like cream cheese, tuna, sardines, as just a few examples, might be some other things to try to rotate through.

I admit I have no idea what the benefit is to giving Lions Mane. Maybe if you share why you are doing it, members on this site might have some alternative options

I also found this in case it might be of some help.
6 Best Mushroom Supplements for Cats (iheartcats.com)
As Rysiek suffers from trigeminal neuralgia and traumatic symptoms Lions Mane was recommended as it has relaxing properties and impacts on the nerves. The way it works is a bit complicated to me.
He was ok on this, really relaxed, much happier and with no attacks...one day he just refused...He then refused all the food and started hiding under the bed, which may suggest that the pain reoccurred 😾
We have been to the vet yesterday and he had a blood test and was assessed, including his mouth, as he is prone to the mouth ulcerations...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was the outcome from the vet? Did tehy recommend any medications. I tried SO amny herbal supplements over the years and can say most did absolutely nothing. Only meds from the vet worked. The only supplements I ever found that seem to do something is DMG, a immune builder supplement and LifeGold a supplement for cats with cancers. That is because my cats are still alive 4 years after supposidly being on the brink of death with leukemia. I give all their meds mixed in Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. They are a cat lickable treat and they have never turned it down. i wish you well!

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried with many different lickable treats, also tablet pouches, pates, other treats...
Rysiek always knows after around two weeks and refuses full stop...he may eat a treat around a tablet and spit it out!
When he was on other meds, in order to get them consistently I had to squirt them to his mouth via sirringe.
But he started to be more vigilant and hides under the bed.

I saw a good effect of lions mane on him, he appeared really relaxed and happier...
I used to give him CBD, but after a few weeks he developed digestive problems...

I do believe in herbal remedies, but they do require a long term and consistent use, which I cannot achieve with Rysiek.
Other, very potent neurological meds, do not heal the condition, they only masks the symptoms...Every so often I need to give him buprenorphine and this seems to be a good solution, rather than having him drugged permanently...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe buprenorphine is the answer for him. The dosage amount is so small, that it doesn't require any swallowing, it just needs to be absorbed in the mucous membranes of the mouth. I give it to my cat, for different reasons than yours.

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe buprenorphine is the answer for him. The dosage amount is so small, that it doesn't require any swallowing, it just needs to be absorbed in the mucous membranes of the mouth. I give it to my cat, for different reasons than yours.
Yes, I have him this recently and it helped.

The herbs would have done preventative action...

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Caveat: I can’t help you at all, BUT I am drinking a daily dose of lion’s mane mushroom tea (also with Turkey Tail), and cannot prove a darn thing, other than I feel great. If you ever watched the film Fantastic Fungi they interview a person with cancer who took just lion’s mane and beat it back and now is thriving. BUT, that‘s not a cat, and ask your vet. I think Feeby’s Owner is on to something.

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you putting this in gelatin capsules? Or that does not work for him?
He will not take any capsules...

The powder was added to lick-a-licks, different ones, tablet pouches, chicken pate, salmon pate...

As usually, he takes something for 2-3 weeks, and then he KNOWS!!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a medical nor a veterinary professional but was raised using traditional medicines. The rule of thumb that I was taught is that herbs should be limited to 10-14 days and then a dormant phase of at least a week before resuming if needed. Also, if the condition continues, it can be useful to switch to a plant that is in season/at its optimum harvest time..