Little spot on my cats head

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! Just discovered this spot on my new cats head. Didn't see it before, any ideas what it can be? It doesn't seem to be bleeding or anything but it doesn't look like an old wound either with the vibrant colors. She'll be getting a shot on Monday the 19th so I'll also ask the vet of course!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah its a wound. Get some antibiotic salve (without painkillers!) and smear it on. it should disppear in a week or two. Make sure you show it to the vet if it is still there!
Good idea. A friend of mine who studies to become a vet also recommended a honey salve that you can get for humans and cats. Curious if anyone has any experience with those. It's safe to eat which would be a good thing

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know anything about a honey salve, but plain Neosporin would likely help heal it. Or you can use chamomile tea - Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to that area with cotton balls or a soft cloth. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, as well as having anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your kitten to ingest if that should happen.

Just keep an eye on it and see if she is scratching at it. It may be a self-inflicted would do to something itching her in the area. If it helps, take pics so you can track any progression, which you could share with the vet if needed. Also, look for other spots to show up in case this might be some kind of skin problem.

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about a honey salve, but plain Neosporin would likely help heal it. Or you can use chamomile tea - Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to that area with cotton balls or a soft cloth. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, as well as having anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your kitten to ingest if that should happen.

Just keep an eye on it and see if she is scratching at it. It may be a self-inflicted would do to something itching her in the area. If it helps, take pics so you can track any progression, which you could share with the vet if needed. Also, look for other spots to show up in case this might be some kind of skin problem.
Thanks for the indepth answer! I was thinking about chamomile too. I'll wait for a day to see if the spot darkens to figure out if it's just a wound that will start scabbing or if it's a different kind of skin condition. I'll definitely be taking pictures more often for the vet, great idea.

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
Small update, the initial spot got a bit better by itself but there are more little wounds/scabs forming around it. So it might be an allergic reaction to something or a fungal infection. This Monday we have a vet appointment for her trio booster so we'll also let them look at the spots. She's not really scratching at them that much so that's good!

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had the appointment last Monday and got some anti itching antibiotic salve. But it seems to have spread to the other side of her head and it's only getting worse. We fear allergies or skin mites. We're calling the vet again on monday. I know it will probably all be fine but it makes me so sad. The shelter we got her from also don't give any support money wise, they just say if you don't want to deal with it bring her back. Of course we won't be bringing her back but we are still students with debt. And it feels like they should have known something was wrong medically. I know I'll have a job in a few months so money won't be an issue by then but it still sucks.
Sorry for the little rant I've been worrying so much about Miso

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another update hahah we went to the emergency vet because it was swollen under one of the wounds all of the sudden. But no worries it wasn't anything that bad. This vet immediately said it's allergies so I guess that will be a long trial.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be litter allergy. Does she also have these spots on her legs or tummy?

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be litter allergy. Does she also have these spots on her legs or tummy?
No only on her head near her ears. We already changed to litter we know she had before and never had issues with! But yeah the vet was 99 percent sure it's a food allergy

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a kitty who had seasonal allergies and would do this occasionally. She would also rub her ears on the carpet. Did the vet check for an ear infection while you were at the vet?

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a kitty who had seasonal allergies and would do this occasionally. She would also rub her ears on the carpet. Did the vet check for an ear infection while you were at the vet?
Ah yeah we were thinking the same at first. Both ears look perfectly healthy they said!