Meet my handsome new man

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have rescued several cats who were sick with one problem of another, including Fiona herself. Given the amount of time that you have had him, he may have been/be in some incubation period for a URI. No matter how hard that poor soul tried to take care of those cats, it is so difficult to avoid those problems when there are too many cats.

His nose will probably start to heal right away now that he is out of the crate.:hugs:
Yeah definitely. He was with two other kitties from the same place at the shelter and they both looked like they might be fighting off something too. One of them especially, his third eyelids were quite pronounced, so I never expected him to be 100% healthy which is why I haven’t started intros or scent swapping yet. I thought he was doing quite well and getting over anything if he did have something, but if he’s been a bit sick this whole time that probably explains why he hasn’t been very playful, rests a lot, and may even be contributing to his pickiness with wet food/low appetite too. So we are definitely going to need more time before all that starts with this little flare up. He is polishing off his wet food lunch right now though so that’s great, he has a good appetite for wet now that I’ve found something he likes. Probiotics in there too, his first proper dose of them now that he’s finally licking the plate clean and not leaving a ton, so hopefully those start to help him soon too.

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
Basically right after my last post he went poo. A pretty soft one again but he was acting totally normal afterwards so I thought nothing of it besides it’s a stress poop again and maybe that’s enough wet food for today. Then about half an hour ago I went to check in on him again and the room smelled kind of stinky still which was odd and he moved from his usual spot and there was smooshed poo on his clean blankie!! He was sitting in the bits that got on his blankie so it was on his tummy too! A bunch was stuck to his butt and he never acted different whatsoever (when this has happened to Moose or Bitsy they go nuts) so I had no idea for like a whole hour while he just sat there in it all stinky :sniffle:

Anyways I got him basically all cleaned up now thanks to a billion pet but wet wipes but he got way overstimulated from all the grooming from me and gave me a nice bite that drew blood lol, not too deep though. He tends to love bite when he gets excited during cuddles but this was the hardest yet. We will work on that eventually but I don’t want to discourage him from lovings right now so I usually mostly ignore it minus a little yelp. So polysporin and a bandaid on that and hopefully it heals up with no issues. Am now doing a lot of unexpected laundry because he got a little too excited about the butt wiping session and jumped on my bed to roll around while he was still poopy and the spot he chose was right where the blanket comes up by my face lol :barfgreen:

Anyways… let’s hope his poops firm up again soon and this isn’t a trend. Poor guy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Given he lived with so many other cats, there can't have always been the time or energy to check to see if everyone was clean. A dirty rear might not upset him as much as some cats who are used to being clean.

Watch with the bites, but I understand that you don't want him to feel as if he can't show you affection when you have just gotten him.

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
Given he lived with so many other cats, there can't have always been the time or energy to check to see if everyone was clean. A dirty rear might not upset him as much as some cats who are used to being clean.

Watch with the bites, but I understand that you don't want him to feel as if he can't show you affection when you have just gotten him.
It wasn’t even a dirty rear, it was a HUGE chunk of poop stuck under his tail and partially still in his butt, and no reaction to it, but you’re right, there’s no way that hasn’t happened in the past and he would have likely gone with no help with it so it’s probably not such a perturbing feeling as it is for my other kitties.

He was definitely in a mood yesterday with not feeling well and bit me quite hard again in the evening (somehow didn’t break the skin this time though). It was very much a random snap bite as opposed to a overstimulated love bite, so I hissed at him and left the room for an hour or so. Was pretty worried he was in pain or something after that, but by late night when I went to bed he was back to being his normal cuddly self. I woke up in the middle of night to the sound of him playing, and when I woke up this morning briefly way earlier than usual, and then again a few hours later to finally get out of bed, he had been sleeping on the bed with me by my feet, which he has never done before, so that was nice. He just pooped too and it was much firmer than the past two, no butt mess, so things are improving and getting back to normal!

Still haven’t heard from the vet with his results though which is odd because they’re usually great about getting in contact with them the next day.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is probably so incredibly happy to be with you. Several of the cats I have rescued from difficult situations like parking lots, alleys, or parks have all decided very quickly what it meant to have a nice big bed to cuddle in.

A lot of my cat "work" has been with ferals, meaning the cat who is hostile and will never be touched again once they are TNRed. I have noticed that they are not seemingly as bothered by things that would either drive us or our indoor cats crazy like matted fur or a dirty rear end.

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
Results are in!!

FIV/FELV negative :cheerleader:

Bloodwork is great overall, his albumin levels are just ever so slightly below the reference range (so may be normal for him, but may be worth rechecking down the road)

And no trace of crystals in his urine

Yay!

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
He looks so happy. Like he can stretch out and fully be a cat. Must be a wild thing to get used to!
Yess, he’s such a sweet happy boy (who still needs a name!! Aaahh!! My brain needs to cooperate lol) and like fionasmom said he seems to really appreciate the little things like being cozy on the bed, or playing with this one little toy that has quickly become his favourite (that he is like shy to play with if I’m around, he only does it when I’m asleep or out of the room but I always hear him batting it around and find it under the bed lol), or finishing a yummy meal (he often trills in satisfaction afterwards, it’s so frickin’ cute). He had a pretty rough day yesterday but he’s back to his normal self today. Can’t wait for this little URI he has to pass so I can start introducing him to my other babies 🥲

Attachments

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basically right after my last post he went poo. A pretty soft one again but he was acting totally normal afterwards so I thought nothing of it besides it’s a stress poop again and maybe that’s enough wet food for today. Then about half an hour ago I went to check in on him again and the room smelled kind of stinky still which was odd and he moved from his usual spot and there was smooshed poo on his clean blankie!! He was sitting in the bits that got on his blankie so it was on his tummy too! A bunch was stuck to his butt and he never acted different whatsoever (when this has happened to Moose or Bitsy they go nuts) so I had no idea for like a whole hour while he just sat there in it all stinky :sniffle:

Anyways I got him basically all cleaned up now thanks to a billion pet but wet wipes but he got way overstimulated from all the grooming from me and gave me a nice bite that drew blood lol, not too deep though. He tends to love bite when he gets excited during cuddles but this was the hardest yet. We will work on that eventually but I don’t want to discourage him from lovings right now so I usually mostly ignore it minus a little yelp. So polysporin and a bandaid on that and hopefully it heals up with no issues. Am now doing a lot of unexpected laundry because he got a little too excited about the butt wiping session and jumped on my bed to roll around while he was still poopy and the spot he chose was right where the blanket comes up by my face lol :barfgreen:

Anyways… let’s hope his poops firm up again soon and this isn’t a trend. Poor guy.
Poor boy will be called Pooh Bear at this rate!

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
He looks so sweet and contented in those pictures, Biomehanika Biomehanika ! You're doing such a wonderful job with this boy.
Thank yoooou :cloud9:

Harrison? Horatio? Timothy? Does the name of the man who took care of all these cats fit? Maybe he has an interesting middle name? (I’m just excited). :)
Horatio is kind of cute but I’m not sure I like it enough, I’m sorry lol, I appreciate you trying to help, I am just the most indecisive picky person on the planet and HORRIBLE with names. I haven’t named a cat since Bitsy almost 13 years ago (which took forever to decide on), and Moose was already Moose when I got him and I kept it lol. The man who had them was named Bruce, which I feel is too much of a tough man name for him since he’s such a softie. Plus I’m not sure I want a connection to his old life as he will be a SPOILED LITTLE PRINCE now lol (Princeton????? Lmao, another consideration that I’ll probably decide I don’t like in a day 😂). I am truly driving myself crazy with my indecision and lack of creativity with the names here lol…

BUT, here’s something cool :cheerleader:

When checking what the man’s name was (because of your suggestion) I came across this on the SPCA’s original article about it all… had seen it before but not since getting the sweet boy so it never clicked.

6C9C46FC-D4B6-4A3C-AEB9-D293DB35AC6A.jpeg

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

That absolutely without a doubt must be his mother or sister!!!!

PS. He slept with me again last night, so happy it’s becoming a habit :blush:

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe just Prince?
That’s such springboard idea, too! From Valiant to Ferdinand! Have you seen our “Name those Kitties“ thread? :winkcat: I don’t think you should rush it…there will be that “aha” moment. Took me about 3 months to name a kitty Jambo (“hello” in Swahili).

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
I no longer like Princeton so we are back to square one lmao…. Currently rewatching House of The Dragon so am now (again) tempted to give him a Game of Thrones themed name loool. I think Aegon (Egg for short) is kind of cute and it kind of fits him but we shall see. Plus there’s almost a dozen Aegon’s in the history of the show so he wouldn’t have to be named after any of them in particular lmao.

He is still having really wet poops. The last one was just on the verge of being diarrhea. The one before that was half wet and half hard which was weird. I think the switch to all this wet food was too fast for him, and maybe something about the fancy feast is too rich. He puked last night too (with a hairball). Anyways… I have majorly scaled back on the wet for the time being and have started giving him some S. Boulardii in hopes of getting his poops back to normal. Once he’s doing better in that regard I will SLOWLY start to introduce more wet back in and see how that goes, but for now he will only get wet 1x a day.

He’s still in good spirits and being a cutie, though.

Attachments