My Persians don't know how to mate

taradelynn6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two Persian cats which are trying to mate, but my male cat will try to mount the female, but end up being off target. Usually landing just above her tail. My female cat doesn't quite help either as she doesn't raise her bum up.

My female goes into heat one time a year, around spring time. Therefore her first day of heat was last week.

It is painful n frustrating to watch, as they both cant relieve there sexual frustrations and end up just howling n chasing around each other without really getting anywhere.

Both my cats are indoor cats only. My male cat being 3 years old and my female 2. This is the only female the male cat has interacted with and vice versa.

I am a huge advocate on spaying and neutering your pets. I have done so with my previous Persians as soon as they were of age to do so. However, both my Persians are papered, but more importantly I want my female to experience having one litter of kittens before I get him and her fixed.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Would you carefully vet the homes where the kittens go, if any are born? Make sure you carefully check every home and have it in the agreement when kittens get sold, that in the event of the kitten needing to get rehomed, the kitten comes back to you, no matter how old the kitten is - even if they were a adult cat at that point, still take them back, make sure you are currently in a position to take them back, otherwise they could easily end up in rescues, and even if they get adopted, it takes homes away from non-pedigrees, bearing in mind even pedigrees of any breed can end up in rescue for any reason :catrub:

With that out of the way, will she allow you to gently guide her into the correct position? That's the only thing I can think of to suggest :catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taradelynn6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What great advice! I know I will be extremely picky and careful as to whom can adopt the kittens (if there are any 😓). My 2 babies are more considered my children than they are cats and I know if they have babies I will be just as in love and protective with them as I am their parents. I will definitely refer back to this if they do in fact breed. Thank you ❤

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a former Persian breeder. Please consider the following:
1. Are they exemplary examples of the breed? If a breeding does not improve the breed I ( my opinion only) would not do it.
2 Do you have breeding rights on both? If not the kittens can’t be registered and pedigree would be questionable.
3 Are you prepared for birthing problems if they do breed? It isn’t unusual or inexpensive. I have had stuck kittens more than once.
4. Risk of pyrometra with your girl unbred, and also risk of breast cancer.
5. The male can start spraying all over your house and remember females will mark too.
6. Lost sleep from bottle feeding kittens every 2 hours if needed.
7. Heart break of losing kittens and possibly mother. It happens more than you realize.
8.One of the most difficult things is letting the kittens go when you find a good home because you get attached.
9. Your girl will never know the difference if she doesn’t have kittens. Nor will your male. Just an FYI, breeding is painful for the female since the male had barbs on his organ to stimulate ovulation.
If they will let you help position them it is sometimes successful. Try setting up a single room to let them breed. That will be the only room they are together in to breed. Ifsucessful breeding takes place do not let them breed more than 3 days because you could have premie kittens along with normal ones. If both are inexperienced it will be a challenge to get them to breed. Honestly sometimes they never figure it out. I have a potential stud that while beautiful ( sire was a national winner) he just couldn’t figure out he was to high on the girl.
I don’t mean to sound preachy, just wanted to give you some of my experience. Included a photo of one of my boys.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re factors why perhaps not to do breed;
If the male doesnt know how to do it; its one of the factors! Btw, the same with the female... Even if its usually no big problem with a knowleable male...
(But her properties as momma are of course important.)

Either he is a good courtier, and with time she will let him try, Such a friendly, knowleable stud is always welcome, not only because it looks nice for their humans, but also, kittens tend to take properties after their dad. A friendly, easy to handle dad, gives usually friendly, easy to handle kittens.

or he is a dominant male, and just does it. (this isnt very nice, but - kittens will be made)

So, a knowleable, friendly male and good courtier, is always a plus; even if he by himself isnt top notch exemplar. He shall fill up the standards and have good lineage, but himself doesnt need to be of top show quality.

But a non knowleable male whom barely differ nose from tail, is a minus for a breeder, especially if he isnt top notch with unique positive properties.

So, I shall proceed to ponder if I can give some advice how to do it anyway, there are tricks; but I want remind: its a minus if the stud doesnt know how to do it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, what to do with cats whom almost know, but just almost, and whom are essentially willing.

What you have already done, ie let them try in their own tempo, without stressing, as long it takes, even a full week - IS of course one way to try with... I remember the lively tale of Aragorn, one of our Ancestors, a shy and young stud whom met an inexperienced but friendly wife... It took a week, but the deed was done to all involved happiness...

Some owners tried to help them physically, ie put them into positions, gently holding them right.

Another alternative is to let him have another, knowleable and experienced female... Hoping he will catch on.
Same can be done with the female - the risk is though, she will get pregnant, and you perhaps dont wish another father.

Third alternative, is to show them... Start with showing them BOTH cats mating succesfully - works sometimes.

Or even - you and hubby will be the figurants yourself - and do it cat style. :) Several times if need be!

I have never tried this - our boys were all fairly good courtiers -
but I can imagine its fairly effective. Cats are able to learn from observation, but most effective is observation of someone they have connection with, whom is important... Typically it will be momma, but others may do.

taradelynn6 taradelynn6

Ps. IF you really shall go through this is another question, as discussed above. :)