Scared semi feral stray cat hiding for a month

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Should not stop leaving treats out? I've always seen people say to leave treats out after sitting quietly in the room or doing something around him (I vacuum and mop) so he kinda associates it with good things and so gets used to it. Should I stop doing that?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, my goal is for him to understand that I am not a threat, and neither are all the sounds and movement. He's in a room now to acclimate and I see him trying to peek underneath the door from time to time. Hopefully that means he's curious
Yes,lol of course he is -PLUS he does KNOW you- huge bonus!

Right now his confusion and unfamiliarity of new environment simply has his instincts over ruling that curious nature- the survival instinct.... once he's past the fright of this scarey new territory he's going to go back to what he does know and is familiar with " socially"- guess what thst is? Yep- YOU

You're gonna be okay ,you're gonna have a best pal that you might even wish would go hide sometimes rather thsn be underfoot!😃All in good time👍

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's very encouraging thank you so much. It's been a long journey and I don't see the end in sight and i get sad sometimes. I'll keep trudging on and will update on progress!

Yes,lol of course he is -PLUS he does KNOW you- huge bonus!

Right now his confusion and unfamiliarity of new environment simply has his instincts over ruling that curious nature- the survival instinct.... once he's past the fright of this scarey new territory he's going to go back to what he does know and is familiar with " socially"- guess what thst is? Yep- YOU

You're gonna be okay ,you're gonna have a best pal that you might even wish would go hide sometimes rather thsn be underfoot!😃All in good time👍

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Should not stop leaving treats out? I've always seen people say to leave treats out after sitting quietly in the room or doing something around him (I vacuum and mop) so he kinda associates it with good things and so gets used to it. Should I stop doing that?
You can leave treats out if you like -sure,it's no problem ,just don't be trying to lure him out with treats right now-not now- know what I mean...

That's right,just go about your business so he gets used to all your normal activities and sounds of daily living inside.... soon enough you'll be leaving the room door open and be saying " why won't he come out of his room" ..... little by little,he's going to show you when he's ready for each new step

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
That's very encouraging thank you so much. It's been a long journey and I don't see the end in sight and i get sad sometimes. I'll keep trudging on and will update on progress!
Don't be sad- he's INSIDE,be happy❤He's safe,he's fed and you have no worries ....You are going to laugh at this thread one day after he's following you all throughout the house- and you're going to encourage someone else going through your current position--,I promise you!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Maybe the right thing to say is I want him to feel safe outside his hiding hole. But I get you. I've stopped trying to actively interact with him. Nowadays is just sitting quietly, putting food/drink down, cleaning etc. Nothing that requires him to respond.
Always speak to him in a sweet loving assuring voice. Nothing calm them as good as our assurance. Cats can sense fear and hoomans emotions. As long as you are happy, he can feel it.

Of course, my goal is for him to understand that I am not a threat, and neither are all the sounds and movement. He's in a room now to acclimate and I see him trying to peek underneath the door from time to time. Hopefully that means he's curious
Yes, that's the primary goal to help him feel that you are not a threat.

What you can do is have some towels near the bed where he scratch and also where he lays to sleep. This is to soak to his scents. After a few days of soaking up his scented, move the towels around the room. Cats go by scents and if there's familiar scents, they bucked up their confidence else he'll only stay put at one place.
Also, you can place your clean unwashed non perfumed garments with him and also around the room. This is for him to get used to your scents and it'll also help boost his confidence.

For him to peek under the door, yes, he's curious on what's beyond the door as he can sense movements. Put a piece of your garment at the door for him to sniff. Alsop play some soothing cat music for him. You can search for them in Youtube.

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You say clean garments but whoops I've placed my stinky socks in the room for him to sniff before.

But well noted on the towel. I have a bay window that he likes to hop on, and I'll lay the towel out on that with the hope that he'll jump on it and allow it to soak up some scent. I bought him another bed hiding hole that I hope he will use and I'll place that towel in it once it arrives so he will learn to use it.

Always speak to him in a sweet loving assuring voice. Nothing calm them as good as our assurance. Cats can sense fear and hoomans emotions. As long as you are happy, he can feel it.

Yes, that's the primary goal to help him feel that you are not a threat.

What you can do is have some towels near the bed where he scratch and also where he lays to sleep. This is to soak to his scents. After a few days of soaking up his scented, move the towels around the room. Cats go by scents and if there's familiar scents, they bucked up their confidence else he'll only stay put at one place.
Also, you can place your clean unwashed non perfumed garments with him and also around the room. This is for him to get used to your scents and it'll also help boost his confidence.

For him to peek under the door, yes, he's curious on what's beyond the door as he can sense movements. Put a piece of your garment at the door for him to sniff. Alsop play some soothing cat music for him. You can search for them in Youtube.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You say clean garments but whoops I've placed my stinky socks in the room for him to sniff before.

But well noted on the towel. I have a bay window that he likes to hop on, and I'll lay the towel out on that with the hope that he'll jump on it and allow it to soak up some scent. I bought him another bed hiding hole that I hope he will use and I'll place that towel in it once it arrives so he will learn to use it.
Clean used unwashed non perfumed garment is better than stinking socks. Garments like you wear just for awhile will do.

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've placed a pair of shorts where he likes to hang when he's out. Hopefully he'll get used to me.

On another note, he used the scratch pole last night! Granted it was the base of the scratch pole but he didn't need any teaching! I've just ordered a scratch pad for him. Maybe he prefers flat scratching things.

Side note: the scratch pad is in a carrot shape and so is the pole. Also has a small carrot toy. It's a whole theme at this point.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've placed a pair of shorts where he likes to hang when he's out. Hopefully he'll get used to me.

On another note, he used the scratch pole last night! Granted it was the base of the scratch pole but he didn't need any teaching! I've just ordered a scratch pad for him. Maybe he prefers flat scratching things.

Side note: the scratch pad is in a carrot shape and so is the pole. Also has a small carrot toy. It's a whole theme at this point.
That’s good. Little progress each day. Keep it up!

It could be he likes flat surfaces. Different cats like to stretch differently. Some like to stretch and scratch upwards while others stretch and scratch horizontally. Just make sure the scratching surface is big enough for him.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
283298289.jpg

These simple corrugated scratch boxes are an all time favorite at my house for the "horizontal" scratchers... Timmy,my EX feral gravitated towards it immediately ,I placed it over the area he started scratching ( carpet) and he got the jist- no carpet scratching!

They come in a wide variety of sizes ,as tabbytom tabbytom suggested to make sure the surface is big enough- the appropriate size would be one your cat can extend his legs all the way forward while he is on or directly behind it....👍

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I've placed a pair of my and my husband's shorts on the bay window he likes to hang out. He seems to avoid the shorts. Is it normal? Will he lie on it and get used to it eventually?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Scarey stuff- he's thinkjng" what is that weird looking thing she put here-smells like her but it's not moving,better keep my distance"

My Timmy didn't know what a bed was,,was afraid of toys,,tye carpet under his feet- name it..... oh but that sense of smell,better than a bloodhound!Give him time-he does not have to lie on those shorts to pick up those scents

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So I've placed a pair of my and my husband's shorts on the bay window he likes to hang out. He seems to avoid the shorts. Is it normal? Will he lie on it and get used to it eventually?
Better to use a t-shirt. Shorts......errrr.........well...................

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Better to use a t-shirt. Shorts......errrr.........well...................
Haha I don't mean underwear I mean like trousers.

Anyways thanks everyone for your encouragement and answering my dumb questions. Will try my best and love him unconditionally

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Haha I don't mean underwear I mean like trousers.

Anyways thanks everyone for your encouragement and answering my dumb questions. Will try my best and love him unconditionally
Underwear, trousers, shorts..................................eerrrmmm......................you know what I mean............... :lol:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Underwear, trousers, shorts..................................eerrrmmm......................you know what I mean............... :lol:
Rofl- no questions are " dumb" ( well,err-:flail:) just kidding!

Seriously though,you don't really want anything with buttons,zippers etc..... just soft ,smooth things like Tshirts (& yeah socks hardly worn are fine).... it's not really for lying down on but to familiarize them with your scent & when they become familiar with that scent they will typically lie ontop of whatever it is - so use something comfy and not too big

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup it's a pair of home shorts so they're soft and cottony. Any other tips to make him feel more at home? Patience isnt my virtue and I feel the universe is training me to be patience haha

Rofl- no questions are " dumb" ( well,err-:flail:) just kidding!

Seriously though,you don't really want anything with buttons,zippers etc..... just soft ,smooth things like Tshirts (& yeah socks hardly worn are fine).... it's not really for lying down on but to familiarize them with your scent & when they become familiar with that scent they will typically lie ontop of whatever it is - so use something comfy and not too big