Small cell lymphoma

Freda Locker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
My little girl is 15. She is done beautifully on a treatment protocol for small cell lymphoma over the past year and 1/2.
I’m inquiring if anyone else has a similar situation and if they have gotten cat ultrasound.
She had an endoscopy and biopsy which indicated the lymphoma, but I’m wondering if ultrasound can give me info on cancer spread.
I really like my vet but try to avoid hauling my cat in for a day of diagnostics unless it will really help.
Bloodwork is great.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! I guess if your cat is doing well on her current regimen to treat her cancer, what do you hope to accomplish with an ultrasound? If it were to show the cancer has spread, is there another game plan that would be instituted for her?

An ultrasound may show if there is any spreading, but that would be easier to see if there were a previous one to compare it to. If they would find any suspicious tissue, they could perform a fine needle aspiration (FNA) to analyze that tissue. It is non-invasive and is done in tandem with the ultrasound. Many cats can go through an ultrasound/FNA with little or no meds to calm them. The meds that can be given are generally mild, fast acting, and short lived.

The other thing to consider with an ultrasound, if your cat is on Prednisolone is whether or not that could skew the results. So, something to ask your vet about if you choose to pursue an ultrasound.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freda Locker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Thanks so much for this reply.
You know, she is my 1st cat. I don’t want her to suffer at all. Duh.
The info out there is that cats can do well on cancer regimens for a certain amount of time.
I imagine every one is different.
I am just trying to do well by her. Vets is good don’t want to bug her.
Thanks again

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good vets don't mind being 'bugged'. I am sure she would be happy to talk about what you need to look for when determining if there are additional steps to take - and/or, even when those steps might be needed.

In taking my cat's welfare as top priority, I never concern myself with whether or not I might be bugging the vet.

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With my cat, the SCL was diagnosed via ultrasound. She wasn’t a good anesthesia candidate. She has been on Chlorambucil and Prednisolone since 2021, I think. The ultrasound showed a space occupying lesion in the intestines. I had it repeated a year later I think. This last visit I didn’t do it because even if there were changes, it wouldn’t really make a difference in treatment.

Freda Locker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for info I appreciate it.

Freda Locker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good vets don't mind being 'bugged'. I am sure she would be happy to talk about what you need to look for when determining if there are additional steps to take - and/or, even when those steps might be needed.

In taking my cat's welfare as top priority, I never concern myself with whether or not I might be bugging the vet.

Freda Locker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just trying to incorporate it all I reckon

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
F Freda Locker I hope your girl is feeling good today. If you were able to speak with the vet, I hope they had some advice for you. :)