The thrill of an unsupervised walk

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Despite all my efforts to make my house cat-safe, for three days in a row my two cats managed to disengage or pry the windows nets open and escaped unsupervised while I was doing something else in the next room. On Saturday and Sunday I realized it promptly and recovered them soon.
I have those nets several years, one window has that net since 2004 and no cat before my two current cats ever managed to open it, ever.
These two kitties already opened it twice in two months, and yesterday and today they opened (or better, they knocked it down) the net in another window. As I said, in past occasions I realized they were out a very few minutes later. This latter time they stayed out an undefined time, it could be ten minutes up to not less than one hour and a half. I don't know where they went, what they did, what they came in contact with, if they ate or chewed on something in those up to 90 minutes.
I spend lots of time and energy to make sure they are safe and lead a healthy life, then they do such things.
They're driving me nuts.
I take them out on the leash regularly, and they never complained.
In the last 25 years I had so many cats that I lost count, but none of them ever drove me crazy like these two ones. They're a real criminal conspiracy!

Now, it is clear that they learned the way to gain some freedom, and it is also clear that they will try to escape again.
I'm doing my best to improve the safety of those nets and the efficacy of the doors in the middle (because they learned how to open the doors as well).
What worries me the most is that they will never stop trying.

Will they ever forget the thrill of the adventure out in the neighbors' yards?
So far they were very happy indoors, they hardly showed any interest in the outside world, then something has changed suddenly. I don't know why.
Will they unlearn how to escape? I think not...

Right now they look exhausted, and I don't know if it's the aftermath of the thrilling adventure or if they did something harmful for them.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How terrifying! We had that happen and the cat went up onto the roof.

If the netting is in a frame and that frame is wooden, it's possible the frame is slightly warped and they are poking it out due to that. It's also possible he wooden window sills have warped with time. You might need to get new frames for the netting or use screws to secure the current frames in the windows. The same maybe true of the door. This is a very difficult thing to get right and wood will warp with time and damp even just the dew of nighttime.

If your netting has a metal frame they may have managed to bend it just enough to pop it out of place.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Might be good to chip them. Also, flea & tick meds -- at Walmart type places they aren't that much and one administration lasts like a month or so. Some are safer than others though. Cant say I recall which, but maybe someone else will chime in. If it becomes a regular thing, I'd ask the vet and if needed spring for the prescription stuff from the vet which covers flea, tick & heartworm. Heartworms die in the cats lungs and scar it. My indoor/outdoor cat basically drowned, unable to breath, was beyond aweful. My current cat is an escape artist, but he is never out for more than 15 minutes, and we dont have fleas in the area. So I dont worry about it now, but apparently when it gets cold, and cats stay out all night, there is an area near my house that is infested with ticks. I had an indoor/outdoor bring them in a few times, and even got bitten myself. So just because you havent seen ticks yet, doesn't mean your cat wont find an area with them, especially if he is out for longer and looking for a cozy place to sleep.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do not think they will 'unlearn' how to escape. It is possible that something new in your area (other cats/critters) is enticing them to want to get outside. But, the enticement, whatever it is, has created a desire/interest that isn't likely to go away.

Nonetheless, I presume you have a similar setup that I have seen before across Europe whereby screening for windows is very different from what we know in the US. The nets are not very secure, and while they haven't posed an issue before for you, they are now.

If you have the funds, you may need to hire someone who can custom build window screens/frames that cannot be knocked out/down vs. the net setup you currently have. Maybe start with the windows that are posing a problem now and work your way through your house as you can. For the doors, there is no reason that deadbolt locks cannot be installed on whatever ones you need securing. There are such locks that do not require a key, just a twist of a small knob that I really doubt your cats can manipulate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How terrifying! We had that happen and the cat went up onto the roof.

If the netting is in a frame and that frame is wooden, it's possible the frame is slightly warped and they are poking it out due to that. It's also possible he wooden window sills have warped with time. You might need to get new frames for the netting or use screws to secure the current frames in the windows. The same maybe true of the door. This is a very difficult thing to get right and wood will warp with time and damp even just the dew of nighttime.

If your netting has a metal frame they may have managed to bend it just enough to pop it out of place.
The frames are aluminum.

One frame is a DIY project that I did in 2004. I changed the net three times due to wear. The first two nettings were aluminum as well, so that they could stand the claws. I changed the netting again two months ago with a plastic one that is guaranteed claw-proof, and so far it didn't have any sign of damage.
It's a frame with three hinges in the upper part so that it can be opened outwards if needed, but has two latches to keep it closed normally. Until last Saturday no cat in my house had ever been able to release those latches.
Giada and Freya were in the window looking outside, I went in the next room for about 10 mintes and when I came back I saw no cat. It took me a while to notice that the latch had been released, the frame had returned to its original position!

Net_01.jpg

You can see this DIY latch on the inside. It's a metal plate with a screw on the net frame, and it latches on the fixed frame in the wall. There's is another latch in the opposite corner. It's free to swivel, and when it is turned upwards, it allows the frame to be opened outwards.

Net_02.jpg

The net and frame seen from the outside. Giada and Freya are behind the net.

The other window has a commercial aluminum frame and net that fits perfectly in the window opening, it's so fit that it says put without even fixing it with screws or else. It has been there two years so far, and was untouched until Sunday, when both cats pushed it out, I heard the noise and took them back inside promptly. And yesterday, when they pushed it out again and wandered free for an undefined time.

Net_03.jpg

This is the net that I bought at a store. It fits so tight in the opening that it doesn't need any fixing, and actually it stayed put for a couple of years, until Sunday and yesterday. The window sill is about 4 feet from the floor, behind a sliding door that the cats learned to open. I ordered two special latches from Amazon fro this door, they should be here today!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Might be good to chip them. Also, flea & tick meds
They are chipped. But they have no flea treatment because they only go out on the leash and not in the grass.
I will consider this, thank you!

So just because you havent seen ticks yet, doesn't mean your cat wont find an area with them, especially if he is out for longer and looking for a cozy place to sleep.
I haven't seen ticks in the area, but usually all flea treatments include ticks as well.

What concerns me the most is that they might have touched, licked, eaten something that they shouldn't have.
A year ago, Giada, one of these two cats, chewed on a lily plant in a pot in my courtyard while she was on the leash. I was checking on the other cat, Freya, that got entangled with her leash and while I was trying to get her free, Giada chewed on this plant.
I had to rush her to the vets who had her throw up and kept her overnight just in case.

I gave away the lily plant to one of my neighbors... I hope that Giada didn't find it again!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not think they will 'unlearn' how to escape. It is possible that something new in your area (other cats/critters) is enticing them to want to get outside. But, the enticement, whatever it is, has created a desire/interest that isn't likely to go away.
Well, actually there are other cats in my yard, my outdoor cats, but they aren't of much interest to my Giada and Freya, apart from one of my neighbors' cat. The neighbors kind of neglect her, so she spends most of her time and eats in my property.
No cat likes her ( HERE a thread on this), my previous cat Pallina would chase her every time she had the chance. Same for my outdoor cats, and same for my indoor cats that literally go nuts when they see her walking past. Don't know why.

And the fact that my cats will never unlearn what they experienced in the last three days is what scares me.

Nonetheless, I presume you have a similar setup that I have seen before across Europe whereby screening for windows is very different from what we know in the US. The nets are not very secure, and while they haven't posed an issue before for you, they are now.

If you have the funds, you may need to hire someone who can custom build window screens/frames that cannot be knocked out/down vs. the net setup you currently have.
I'm working on how to make them safer and more secure. One of the screenings was handmade by me many years ago, and needs some adjustment and additions to make it safer for cats.
The other one will be fixed to the wall permanently.
You can see them in the above photos.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 since you're having to re-work the screens, perhaps it's time to make them with wooden frames including adding wooden window sills so you can secure them. After that, if the ladies discover how to rip the mesh and going back to aluminum mesh doesn't work, look for 'chicken' wire with very small holes. That worked to keep our "going fight you soon as look at you' boy cat indoors.

A ArtNJ not to be rude, okay, it's rude, but I must ask, where do you live that you don't have fleas??? Many of us in the temperate would be tropic zone want to know.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 since you're having to re-work the screens, perhaps it's time to make them with wooden frames including adding wooden window sills so you can secure them. After that, if the ladies discover how to rip the mesh and going back to aluminum mesh doesn't work, look for 'chicken' wire with very small holes. That worked to keep our "going fight you soon as look at you' boy cat indoors
Rather than re-working the screens, I just need to add more secure latches/locks/whatever can keep those frame in place. Something that needs a much clever mind to be released and not an accidental manouvre or a harder push.
As for the mesh iteslef, I trust that they are strong enough to stand the sharpness of my cat claws. The new net I used for the DIY frame is extremely hard to tear, I realized it when I was replacing the old one.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65

A ArtNJ not to be rude, okay, it's rude, but I must ask, where do you live that you don't have fleas??? Many of us in the temperate would be tropic zone want to know.
I dont know for a fact that there are no fleas near me, but I rescued a stray that did not have fleas and had two indoor/outdoor cats for years with no evidence of fleas. Central NJ. I've not heard any people in town complain about fleas. Conversely, seen plenty of ticks. There is one sort of public field, one time a bunch of kids were playing there, and they came back with multiple ticks each on their legs. Even with flea and tick meds, one of the indoor/outdoor woudl bring in ticks. I'm sure I'd have strong feelings about fleas if I had ever dealt with them, I know they are nasty via second hand info. Ticks, I have (too much) first hand experience.

(I dont think your comment was rude K Kflowers , but if its rude, I'll claim a credit in case I'm rude lol.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can, can you build them a catio that they can enter/leave when they want? In a pinch can you put s wooden trellis in front of the screens that you attach to the wall with a few small hook latches? Something to keep them from getting their paws on the screen?

I give my boy a couple hours outside everyday to hang out by my patio. It makes a huge difference for his mental health (& calming my hyper boy down.) I put him in a harness & give him a 20 foot leash….but it is only one cat. I have learned from my escape artist that when you are trying to get them back, stay calm…. Walk after them slowly if the cat speeds up then you slow down….. talk to them … do not punish them when you catch them (consider rewarding them with treats when you catch them.) You want to be able to catch them if they get out again so a bit of bribery doesn’t hurt.