UTI in Elderly Cat with CKD

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know all the advice and have re-read the Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) | International Cat Care link.

Just really want to ask for good vibes for my darling Jakey.

He's 17 years old, never had any bladder issues before but has CKD and has been on Fortekor for 18 months or so.
This week he has developed a bladder issue, he's been doing little wees all over the place so we took him to the vet and the vet detected blood in his urine.

He's not blocked and I know to keep an eye on him and rush him in as an emergency if that happens.

He is on gabapentin for the pain/stress (although we couldn't think of a stressor right away, there was a dog barking in the flat next door last week) but had to after veterinary advice halve the dose because the first dose affected him severely and didn't get cleared out of his system quickly due to his kidney issues. He'll be back at the vet on Saturday if there's no improvement by then.

Please wish him luck and good bladder recovery vibes - he is loved and cared for well by us and has good veterinary care, but it is very worrying given his age and his health conditions and we want him to get better and have a bit longer with us.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might ask your vet about using soothing herbs such as red raspberry, marshmallow root or chamomile to help relieve Jakey's discomfort. Those herbs are also used in humans (myself included)and if you look at the ingredients lists of feline-specific preparations, you will often see them. A sometimes overlooked rule is to separate marshmallow root (as well as slippery elm, if you ever have occasion to use it) from modern medications by 4-6 hours because the soothing mucilage of those herbs can coat the alimentary tract and inhibit absorption of meds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

Tests showed it was a bacterial infection, so he's on antibiotics now, hopefully that will sort him out.

It's all a bit of a worry (both the illness and the medications) due to the CKD, hopefully he comes out the other side in one piece and with all his organs still functioning.

Love my darling boy!