What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Y'all...I filled my tea kettle last night, turned on the stove eye, and FELL ASLEEP! Totally ruined the tea kettle. Thank goodness for Walmart +. They just delivered a new one, along with the few grocery items that I had forgotten to put in my order this month. I really should NOT attempt to even boil water when I'm exhausted!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Took it out. Smoking a little. Now my eyes have been burning. Excuse to go to bed early
Next time you are seasoning cast iron, make sure the oil has a HIGH smoke point, OR try seasoning at 250 for three hours. That's what Gran told me, lo, these many years ago, and I've never forgotten.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Y'all...I filled my tea kettle last night, turned on the stove eye, and FELL ASLEEP! Totally ruined the tea kettle. Thank goodness for Walmart +. They just delivered a new one, along with the few grocery items that I had forgotten to put in my order this month. I really should NOT attempt to even boil water when I'm exhausted!
Oh dear. My teakettle always whistles….now I’m beginning to suspect why. Hope you got the sleep you needed.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Next time you are seasoning cast iron, make sure the oil has a HIGH smoke point, OR try seasoning at 250 for three hours. That's what Gran told me, lo, these many years ago, and I've never forgotten.
I used crisco vegetable oil. 250 for 3 hours sounds much better than 450. I will try that next

JenRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m a little nervous because I fell three days ago and I have five transverse fractures in the vertebrae in my spine and to make matter’s worse, I can’t get into the spine doctor for another 8 weeks! The pain with this has been intense, but I’m trying to wean myself off of the narcotics because I don’t like the way they make me feel. Wish me luck!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m a little nervous because I fell three days ago and I have five transverse fractures in the vertebrae in my spine and to make matter’s worse, I can’t get into the spine doctor for another 8 weeks! The pain with this has been intense, but I’m trying to wean myself off of the narcotics because I don’t like the way they make me feel. Wish me luck!
Any way you can get in faster with another Dr? 8 weeks is a very long time to wait - perhaps a trip to the ER to at least see if the fall causes further damage?

Praying for you- so sorry you're in so much pain,maybe it's not the best time to start weaning yourself of the pain medications - although I completely understand choosing the pain over the way they make you feel🙏

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You mean thistles? Every so often one will pop up here, and yeah, they can get big and nasty.
I took a picture while weeding my raised gardens today and my iPhone says its Horseweed. I’ve seen it taller than 5-6’ though. Its yicky. This is one young cluster.
IMG_7032.jpeg

I’m glad you’re ok! My mom fell asleep boiling a chicken for soup once and didn’t wake up till the cat got her. I had been practicing my flute with a little rug up to my door bunched up to hold the music up. My room was the only one not smoky. Mom must really have been exhausted to sleep though my flute playing. :lol:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't put anything on our lawn. For weeds like dandelions, I have one of those tools for cutting the taproot and popping the plant out. Crabgrass I just yank out by the roots. We have a lot of clover, and the bees swarm all over it. In fact, when we had that warm spell, and the dwarf crocus emerged, there were bees by the hundreds gathering pollen. I wish I could find where they hive up, as there should be a lot of honey. For all I know, there might be a beekeeper in the area.
We don't use anything on our lawn, either. For one, there's too many dogs and cats here and for another, we actually enjoy the diversity that leaving things as is attracts. I see so many monarch butterflies in the summer because we don't cut down the milkweed.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't use anything on our lawn, either. For one, there's too many dogs and cats here and for another, we actually enjoy the diversity that leaving things as is attracts. I see so many monarch butterflies in the summer because we don't cut down the milkweed.
Cut down milkweed? We planted milkweed, and it's cousin, butterfly weed (Asclepias) in our flower gardens.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday morning, I saw something outdoors I have never seen before . I was fertilizing the lawn and a squirrel crossed right in front of me and in her mouth was another squirrel. From what I have learned online this was a mother squirrel either returning a baby to its nest or moving it to a new nest. Unlike a cat that carries their kitten hanging down, the squirrel being carried was sideways, wrapped around the mom’s face.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday morning, I saw something outdoors I have never seen before . I was fertilizing the lawn and a squirrel crossed right in front of me and in her mouth was another squirrel. From what I have learned online this was a mother squirrel either returning a baby to its nest or moving it to a new nest. Unlike a cat that carries their kitten hanging down, the squirrel being carried was sideways, wrapped around the mom’s face.
Seems like all the little ones are coming out. For the first time I saw baby turtles swimming in a lake

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed a lot of squirrels here( many years- I meet their babies and each generation comes to know me well) hand feed all of them ,they run up my legs,go in my pockets for a peanut-some sit on my feet when they eat--- the babies do hold on to the Moms faces like that,it's just adorable - I've seen them carry a baby in one arm too,almost human like with those little hands or under their neck too..... pretty cute,love the babies sparse fur on the tails- lol
20210122_094434_HDR_(1).jpg
20220512_121431_HDR_(1).jpg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I despise squirrels, as they are constantly digging in my flower gardens. I planted several new iris last fall, and they dug up and ate half of them, and I caught them digging in my freshly-planted raised beds this year. I have to spread repellent to keep them at bay, and that only works for a limited time. In my opinion, squirrels are just rats with a good PR firm behind them.