What do they hate-love?

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats crack me up... They both hate... and love... the vacuum! We have a little house and use a Dyson stick vacuum every day. They don't like the vacuum to approach them too closely, but they both will perch and watch it. Okay, so I figure they just want to keep eyes on their "nemesis". But sometimes when they're outside and hear the vacuum, they come to door to come back inside! I don't really get it. Anyone else observe stuff like this?

lokipepperlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well they just hate it not hate love they come in to defend there territory

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper hate-loves to be picked up. If you try to pick him up, he'll try to escape. Then, when you pick him up and pet him, he'll purr. He looks around the room like he's checking out a new vantage point. Then, you have about a half-minute until he starts fidgeting for you to put him down.

Yes, I know that some cats just don't dig being picked up but I think it's important to teach a cat to tolerate it for a short time in case there is ever an emergency where you have to pick them up and carry them to safety. Most of the time, I just let Casper be. I pick him up, once in a while, so that he stays used to it.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Belly rubs. Many people say their cats will attack if they even think someone's going to give them a belly rub. Not our Ozzie. He rolls over on his back for me and will purr if I rub his belly, then suddenly he'll push my arm away with one of his back paws and roll back onto his side. Cleo just plain hates belly rubs UNLESS she's on your lap and completely zoned out being petted, in which case she'll go into an ecstasy if you give her a quick tickle down there - as long as she doesn't realise what you're doing, because then she'll snap out of it, be offended, and leave immediately. Cleo also hate-loves being picked up. She'll squawk in protest and will then snuggle into you and start purring.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My Willow probably had more “hates” than loves. She hates being picked up, refuses to eat unless I am sitting in a different room, and does not want you to talk to her or act like you see where when she is off hiding/sleeping. But when she is out in a room, she loves it when I tell her how beautiful she is and what a sweet good girl she is. Both Willow and Lola hate, hate, hate the vacuum and the broom.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There aren't many things Betty won't let me do to/for her. Nail trims and putting pills in her mouth. Those are her red lines. I wouldn't say she exactly loves taking her liquid medicine. But she doesn't put up much effort to hide or get away from me either. Many times I can herd her into the office where we do it, and she'll walk in on her own. I squish her down and I allow her to see the syringe the whole time. She can be afraid, nervous, what have you for the syringe. If she sees it coming, she doesn't blame me. She lets me tip her head back and tap the syringe to her teeth ("pop a smile, crocodile") until she opens up and a quick squirt and we're done. She walks off a few steps to pout and I wash up the syringe and get her meal set down. If it's the morning dose at 5am, she will climb back into bed with me for a couple more hours of sleep (one of them spent squishing her face into mine, "when you're done with the pout, come snuff me out".) For the evening dose, she wants me to fuss her over and brush her for at least a good fifteen minutes before she'll grudgingly let me return to work. So yeah, the medicine itself. She's not a fan. But I think on some level she knows it's helping her. We go through this dance twice a day where she doesn't want to take it but doesn't put up much of a fight either. Then promptly forgives as we proceed into a couple of her favorite times of the day.